How do I log into/access/use my CCIS Account?
A question we’re often asked by new students is “Where and/or How do I log into my CCIS Account?” (or a variation thereof).
This is a difficult question to answer, as a CCIS Account provides access to a number of resources. Some of those resources include:
- Access to our My CCIS Account Portal for managing passwords and recovery email.
- Access to our Microsoft Windows machines and services, as well as our Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance program.
- Access to our Ubuntu Linux machines (both locally in WVH, and remotely using ssh).
- The ability to publish Personal Webpages
- The CCIS Wiki
- And more… (Including the ability to log into this very site and post comments so as to help make it better!*)
(*Note: Some folks mistakenly think that clicking the “Log in” links on this HOWTO site will bring them to their email or some other part of their CCIS account. All logging into this site does is give you the ability to post comments on our HOWTO articles as per the above link.)
In addition, some students, faculty, and staff, will have access to other resources, including Virtual Machines running in the CCIS Data Center, and so on…
So: If you want to know how to log into your CCIS Account, you first have to ask yourself: “What service do I want to use?”
If you just want to make sure that your account has been created and that you remember your login name and passphrase, you can attempt to log into any one of the above-mentioned services (MyCCIS, Linux ssh or GUI login, Windows GUI login, etc). If you can log in: You should be all set! If you can’t: Please contact email@example.com for help!
If you want to make sure that you can access whatever specific resources are needed for the courses you’re taking: Don’t worry, your instructors and course staff should walk you through this at the beginning of the semester. (Each class uses different technology, so there’s no “One size fits all” intro to what you need for all CCIS classes.)
Beyond that, if you have any specific questions: Feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’d be happy to help!